South Coast Folk Society is an all-volunteer, nonprofit educational organization which is dedicated to the preservation, study, teaching, enjoyment and continuing evolution of traditional and historical dance, music and song. A Board of Directors oversees the activities, and many, many other volunteers provide time, energy, and their talent to ensure that folk music continues in our community. We’re part of the Country Dance and Song Society, which chose us as one of six North American communities to help celebrate its centennial.
HEY! Are you an acoustic musician?
Join the 2017 South Coast Folk Orchestra and earn while you learn!
We offer contra, folk and morris dancing; sing-alongs, a folk orchestra, concerts, workshops and the South Coast Celtic Fest each spring. Some of our calendar offerings:
1. The second Sunday sing-along is held the 2nd Sunday of each month. This is a time to get together and share songs. We have many copies of the Rise Up Singing songbook available. Some people bring a guitar, autoharp, dulcimer or other acoustic instrument – more players are welcome! We meet from 4:00 to 6:00 pm at the North Bend Public Library, 1800 Sherman in North Bend.
2. A contra dance is held on the 1st and 5th Saturdays from Sept through May at the Coos Bay Senior Center on 4th and Ingersoll. Dances start at 7:00 pm. Each month, the dances feature live music and a caller who walks us through all of the steps. What is contra dancing? It’s tons of fun. If you can walk, you can contra dance. $7/$6/$5 at the door. No experience or partners needed. Musicians interested in playing for contra dances meet on 3rd Thursdays of the month to rehearse. See calendar for times and locations.
3. A monthly international folk dance is held on the 4th Saturday from September through May. The evening starts with teaching beginning dances. Then there is time for request dancing. Have fun moving to music from around the world; most dances are circle or line dances – no partners or experience needed. Beginning dances taught first. Then there is time for request dancing. Starts at 7pm on 4th Saturdays at the Coos Bay Senior Center on 4th and Ingersoll.
4. Morris Dance: Side Of the Tide is the South Coast’s own Morris dance troupe. New dancers & musicians are always welcome. Rehearsals are 2nd and 4th Thursdays and some Saturdays. See calendar for times and locations. Find “Side of the Tide” on Facebook.
5. Open Band: Would you like to play music for contra dancers? Sharon Rogers leads our local Open Band, which welcomes all acoustic musicians.
What about you – what are your interests and talents? Want to receive a monthly email announcement about upcoming events? Have ideas about fabulous folk music activities you’d like to help make happen? We’d love to hear from you! Please use the form below to send us an email.